Planning Events

When we reference a “third-party” in our Certificate/Event Review Request Form, we are referring to any entity other than the parties to the contract.

For example, if you have a contract with a facility to host an event, your organization and the facility are both parties to the contract. If a separate vendor is providing the alcohol, they would be a third-party. It is important that the third-party meets your organization’s risk management guidelines. Check with your sorority headquarters to learn more.

Category: Planning Events

It depends on what exactly is required by the specific venue and the nature of the event. We require two weeks’ notice for Certificate of Insurance/Event Review requests in order to ensure timely delivery. Completing the Certificate of Insurance Request Form in its entirety is the best way of ensuring timely processing of your Certificate request.

Category: Planning Events

No, Certificates of Insurance are all issued on an event specific basis; therefore, each time someone requests a Certificate of Insurance from you, you must obtain another Certificate of Insurance.

Category: Planning Events

No, MJ Insurance offers recommendations based on prudent risk management. Your national organization has the ultimate decision as to the approval of your event based on your organization’s risk management policies and the specifics of the event.

We do have a list of risky activities that we find very concerning. For more information, read our position paper on the topic.

Category: Planning Events

We are in agreement with the FIPG guidelines regarding BYOB guidelines, which states:

“The possession, sale, use or consumption of ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, while on chapter premises or during a fraternity event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter, or at any event an observer would associate with the fraternity, should be in compliance with any and all applicable laws of the state, province, county, city and institution of higher education, and should comply with either the BYOB or Third Party Vendor Guidelines. BYOB is defined as one (1) six-pack of 12-ounce beers or one (1) four pack of wine coolers brought by a member or guest who is legally able to consume an alcoholic beverage.”

Review the rest of the FIPG Guidelines on their website.

We have developed a resource that will help you identify the common pitfalls that you should be aware of in dealing with contracts. The document, along with several additional resources related to planning events and contract review, can also be found in our website Library for future reference.

Cindy addressed this issue in a recent memo, which can also be found in our website Library for future reference.

When a member or volunteer is injured during a sponsored event or at the chapter house, they need to rely on their own medical insurance to pay for their injuries, unless the organization is grossly negligent in causing their injuries. The General Liability policy exists to defend the organization’s members and volunteers should they be named in a lawsuit. It is not a substitute for a personal medical insurance policy.

We discourage the practice of scavenger hunts because of the inherent risks from both an automobile and general liability standpoint.

Some of the inherent risks include the following

For the automobile exposure:

  • event requires speed to compete in the competitive event
  • drivers may be traveling on unfamiliar roads/streets 
  • driver can be distracted by passengers excited with the “race” or hunt
  • tendency for alcohol to be involved in the event

For the liability exposure:

  • event requires participants to travel where they may not be familiar
  • potential exists of hazing influence
  • tendency for alcohol to be involved in the event
  • many times the event has a fraternity as a co-sponsor and there is less confidence in the other organizations’ insurance coverage and risk management procedures
  • liability waivers of responsibility that the participants may sign are less likely to hold up under challenge

In addition, many of our clients have policies that forbid scavenger hunts, so, as always, be sure to check with your specific organization before engaging in questionable chapter activities.

Each state has very strict guidelines for businesses who are licensed to sell alcohol, and we certainly recommend that you only use businesses that have a current liquor license. However, it is equally if not more important, that you require evidence of the business’ liquor liability insurance coverage, which is separate coverage from general liability insurance and will have a separate limit of liability. For much more information on this issue, please refer to our position paper.

Our concern with off-duty police officers is that it is unlikely that they carry their own General Liability and Workers’ Compensation coverage, so if something were to happen to them, the organization could be liable as the employer. We do not want to be in a position where an armed off duty police officer would be considered an employee of the organization, so a more practical solution would be to contract with a security company. In our opinion, security guards contracted by the organization should not be armed.

We encourage the use of liability waivers for certain types of events. Please refer to the position paper on our website that we developed on this topic for further details.

All Certificate requests must be submitted directly via this form at For more information on Certificates of Insurance, check out these resources that we’ve developed on our website: Certificate section of the Insurance Summary, Reviewing Contracts document, Certificate section of the website.

Load More